Constitution Day: ‘Most Powerful Force’- PM Modi
- Posted on November 26, 2022
- By Akta Yadav
- 108 Views
This Saturday, 26th November 2022, Prime Minister Modi addressed the Indian constitution as the ‘Most powerful force’ while launching four digital court initiatives to commemorate Constitution Day. He also paid tribute to those who died in the terrorist attack in Mumbai.
PM Modi said the world is watching us, experiencing rapid development and economic growth. He also mentioned by referring to Mahatma Gandhi that fundamental is a commitment that citizens carry out with sincere integrity.
Why is November 26 celebrated as Constitution Day?
2015, November 26, is marked as the 125th birth anniversary of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar who is also known as the “Father of the Indian constitution.” The Modi government planned year-long celebrations to give tribute to the chairman of the drafting committee of the constitution.
Constitution Day is celebrated on November 26 to memorialize the adoption of the constitution of India. On this day, the constituent assembly of India adopted the Constitution of India, which is come into effect on 26th January 1950.
Factors related to Constitution Day
- On November 19, 2015, the ministry of social justice and Empowerment announced the decision of the Indian government to celebrate the 26days of November as Constitution Day every year to encourage values among citizens.
- The Modi government planned a year-long celebration to encourage Constitution Day. In May 2015, Prime Minister Modi announced that November 26 would be Constitution Day. Which was earlier known as Law Day.
- It took almost three years, around two years, eleven months, and seventeen days to detail and complete the historic work of drafting the Constitution of Independent India.
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad was the first president of India and the constituent assembly president. The Constitution assembly of India was established in 1946.
- On August 29, 1947, under the chairmanship of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, the constituent assembly set up a drafting committee to prepare a draft for the constitution. While thinking about the draft constitution. The assembly moved and, discussed, disposed of as many as 2,473 amendments out of 7,635.
Five amazing facts about the constitution of India
- The Constitution of India is written in Hindi and English, and each assembly member has signed it.
- Our Constitution is the largest written constitution in the world.
- The original copy of the constitution was handwritten, every page has a gold leaf frame, and the opening of each page is designed with a different kind of artwork.
- The original copies of the constitution were prepared by Prem Behari Narain Raizada, a very artistic calligrapher.
- The artist from the Shankiniketan, Beohar Rammanohar Sinha, and Naandalal Bose decorated the original version of the constitution.
Need for Constitution in Indian democracy
In any democracy, the constitution is believed to be the sacred book of the government. It builds a great foundation for a parliament to function properly. The constitution is the supreme law of the Nation and is followed by every citizen.
Moreover, India is the largest democratic country in the world, and our constitution is like a guiding light for Indian democracy to function smoothly and vibrantly. Our constitution accrues very interesting qualities. It adapts the changes according to changes in time. It is ever-evolving and dynamic.